jueves, 10 de febrero de 2011

UNIT 9


9.1 Did you have a good journey?
Look at the illustration and discuss these questions:
- What is each person doing?She is lloking for someone, They are all looking for someone, they are introducing themselves.
- What is going to happen next? They will each find the person they are looking for.
- Have you ever been in any of the situations shown? Yes, I have.
- When was the last time you travelled to another country (or another part of your own country)? What did you do there? Last yaer i travelled to guadalajara to visit my family.

D. Look at these situations and decide:
- Who would you speak to in each case to get the information you require?
- What exactly would you say in each situation?
 1.- You’ve heard that flight BZ 431 is delayed.                                                                                              I would speak to the flight attendant and say, "Hello I heard my flight is delayed,can you help me with further information please."

2.- You want a rail ticket to Manchester.                                                                                                  "Hello, I would like to buy a ticket to Manchester for tommorow morning at 10 am."
  
3.- You want to reconfirm your seat on flight TR 998.                                                                                   I would call the airline and say, "Hello this is Jessyka Real, I would like to confirm my seat in fliht TR 998.

 4.- You want a plane ticket to Bangkok.
I wouldgo to the flight attendant and say, “I’d like to buy a ticket to Bangkok, please”.

 5.- You’re in a hurry to get to the airport.                                                                                                     I would call a cab and say, "Hi, I need a cab sent to my adress, im heading to the airport and im in a real  hurry.
6.- You’ve arrived at the airport 3 hours before your flight.                                                                            I would speak to the flight attendant, and say " hello can i register my lugagge now??
7.- You have 3 minutes before your train leaves.
speak to the controller , and ask him where is the gate to take the next train.
8.- You’ve heard that the 17.55 train has been cancelled.
I would go the comptroller and say, "Hello is it true than the flight for 15:55 train was canceled?


E. Discuss these problems with your partners and decide:
- What action would you take in each situation?
- Who would you speak to?
- What exactly would you say to that person?

1.- You arrive in good time at the airport but discover that you have lost your ticket. The ticket clerk says your name is not on the computer?
Could you check again, please? My name may not be spelt right on the computer. If you still can’t find it, could I speak to your supervisor, please?

2.- You find that your travel agent has entered the wrong check-in time on your itinerary and you have missed your flight. Your hosts are meeting you at the airport buy by now they will be on their way there.
I would call my hosts and let them know about the problem im having,offer an apology y try to make up a meeting for another day.

3.- You are a non-smoker but the only seat available on the plane is in the smoking section. After take-off you find that your neighbor is a chain smoker and he doesn’t speak English.
I would  speak to  the flight attendant and ask if she could please find me another seat.

4.- You arrive at an airport in a foreign country expecting to be met but there is no one there to meet you. You have a meeting in a couple of hours in the center of the city.
"hello i would like to know if someone is allready on their way to pick me up at the airport, if not, i can take a cab without a problem.

5.- Your train has missed the connection and now you’re going to be an hour late for your appoinment. You have only five minutes to find a phone and make one call.
I would ask anybody if i can borrow their cellphone and i would call my client to let him know about my situation.

6.- You’re seeing off a visitor. You arrive at the airport for his/her flight home and discover that the check-in desk for his/her flight is closed. You go to Airport Information. They tell you that airline is on strike.
I would ask them to look for avaliable seats in another airline.

F. Decide:
- Which of the advice would you recommend to someone who is coming to your country?
Never agree to transport anything for a stranger.
Find out which parts of the city are unsafe at night and avoid them.
Keep your hotel key with you when you leave the hotel, if possible.

9.2 Hotels and accommodation

C. What kind of hotel would you prefer to stay in if you were on a business trip?
I would prefer a hotel that is specialized in buissness tourism.
How is a business hotel different from a holiday hotel?
They have the right infrastructure for what a buissness tourist needs, combined with the the comfort of a holiday hotel.
9.3 Local knowledge: You are the expert!

1. How much do you know about your own city? Can you answer these questions:
- Where could a visitor go on a free day, or at the weekend?
On weekend i would recomend driving to LaPaz and walking around the beiutiful malecon or  visit the very colorfull little town of Todos Santos.
- When are the museums and art galleries open?
For that type of activitys i would recomend Todos Santos on a sunday morning.

- How can a visitor get tickets for a concert or show?
sometimes whene shows are presented in hotels, the same hotel will sell the tickets, or sometimes the record store in puerto paraiso takes care of that.

- Where can a visitor rent a car?
in a car rental company, most of them are on the main high way,or they can arange something with their conssierge.

- Which restaurants serve typical local dishes?
El coral, The crazy lobster , Mi casa

- Where can a visitor buy local specialities to take home?
In the flee market downtown..

- Where does the bus to the airport leave from and how long does it take?
there is a private transportation company that takes you to the airport, it takes about 40 minutes.

3. Make a list of some famous local names: people who are well-known in your country but may be less well-known abroad.
1 Felipe Calderon (President)
2 Chespirito (comedian,actor)
3 Emiliano zapata (national Heroe)
4 Soriana, Chedraui (local grossary stores)

9.4 Eating, socializing and telling stories.

1.- Think of three stories you can tell. Think of an amusing, frightening, surprising or embarrasing experience you have had…
… on a journey by car, plane, train or bus
… in a hotel
… while having a meal
… while meeting or looking after a visitor
… at work
UNIT 9:WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU TRAVELLED TO ANOTHER COUNTRY (OR ANOTHER PART OF YOUR COUNTRY ) WHAT DID YOU DO THERE?
MAKE A BUSINESS TRIP PLAN OR PROJECT TO DIFFERENT COUNTRIES

1 I had a very good time about three yaers ago whene i travelled to Guadalajara with 6 of my best friends.
it was very fun even on the airplane. We were very exited because that day one of our close friends was getting married, whene we got to the airport we rented two cars , about 45 minutes we were in a big accident with another 10 cars on the freeway...we didnt make it to the wedding.
2  Whene I was I high school, on a rainyday after class we were planning what to do, and I didnt  notice a Big puddle of mug on the floor.I turnes around and sliped.that was embarassing.
3 At work yesterday, I got in the car with the assistent mechanic,he was taking me to the airport to pick up some important documents, at a sertain point we had to make a u turn on a stop light,but he drives very fast and we almost turnd over,it was very frightening.









2 comentarios:

  1. Hi Jessyka, the corrections are between brackets. (......)
    9.1 Did you have a good journey?
    Look at the illustration and discuss these questions:
    - What is each person doing?She is (looking)lloking for someone, They are all looking for someone, they are introducing themselves.
    - What is going to happen next? They will each find the person they are looking for.
    - Have you ever been in any of the situations shown? Yes, I have.
    - When was the last time you travelled to another country (or another part of your own country)? What did you do there? Last (year) yaer (I) i travelled to guadalajara to visit my family.

    D. Look at these situations and decide:
    - Who would you speak to in each case to get the information you require?
    - What exactly would you say in each situation?
    1.- You’ve heard that flight BZ 431 is delayed. I would speak to the flight attendant and say, "Hello I heard my flight is delayed,can you help me with further information please."

    2.- You want a rail ticket to Manchester . "Hello, I would like to buy a ticket to Manchester for tommorow morning at 10 am."

    3.- You want to reconfirm your seat on flight TR 998. I would call the airline and say, "Hello this is Jessyka Real, I would like to confirm my seat in (flight)fliht TR 998.

    4.- You want a plane ticket to Bangkok.
    I would go to the flight attendant and say, “I’d like to buy a ticket to Bangkok, please”.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. 5.- You’re in a hurry to get to the airport. I would call a cab and say, "Hi, I need a cab sent to my (address) adress, (I'm ) im heading to the airport and (I'm) im in a real hurry.
    6.- You’ve arrived at the airport 3 hours before your flight . I would speak to the flight attendant, and say " hello can (I)i register my lugagge now??
    7.- You have 3 minutes before your train leaves.
    speak to the (comptroller) controller , and ask him (where the gate is) where is the gate to take the next train.
    8.- You’ve heard that the 17.55 train has been cancelled.
    I would go (to) the comptroller and say, "Hello is it true than the flight for 15:55 train was canceled?


    E. Discuss these problems with your partners and decide:
    - What action would you take in each situation?
    - Who would you speak to?
    - What exactly would you say to that person?

    1.- You arrive in good time at the airport but discover that you have lost your ticket. The ticket clerk says your name is not on the computer?
    Could you check again, please? My name may not be (spelled) spelt right on the computer. If you still can’t find it, could I speak to your supervisor, please?

    2.- You find that your travel agent has entered the wrong check-in time on your itinerary and you have missed your flight. Your hosts are meeting you at the airport buy by now they will be on their way there.
    I would call my hosts and let them know about the problem (I'm) im having,offer an apology (and)y try to make up a meeting for another day.

    3.- You are a non-smoker but the only seat available on the plane is in the smoking section. After take-off you find that your neighbor is a chain smoker and he doesn’t speak English.
    I would speak to the flight attendant and ask if she could please find me another seat.

    4.- You arrive at an airport in a foreign country expecting to be met but there is no one there to meet you. You have a meeting in a couple of hours in the center of the city.
    "hello (I) i would like to know if someone is (already)allready on their way to pick me up at the airport, if not, (I)i can take a cab without a problem.

    5.- Your train has missed the connection and now you’re going to be an hour late for your (appointment) appoinment. You have only five minutes to find a phone and make one call.
    I would ask anybody if (I)i can borrow their cellphone and (I)i would call my client to let him know about my situation.

    6.- You’re seeing off a visitor. You arrive at the airport for his/her flight home and discover that the check-in desk for his/her flight is closed. You go to Airport Information. They tell you that airline is on strike.
    I would ask them to look for (available) avaliable seats in another airline.

    F. Decide:
    - Which of the advice would you recommend to someone who is coming to your country?
    Never agree to transport anything for a stranger.
    Find out which parts of the city are unsafe at night and avoid them.
    Keep your hotel key with you when you leave the hotel, if possible.

    ResponderEliminar